After a shocking security breach that resulted in the leakage of higher education entrance examination, which was due to be administered to 10+2 students across the nation on Monday, the Ministry of Education (MoE) has setup a special taskforce that will oversee the reexamination process, which has been rescheduled for July 4-7.
The shocking ordeal took place all through last week where a number of individuals on social media have claimed that they have the exam papers in their possession and had been posting the answer online.
The exam, which was scheduled to take place on Monday and all through Thursday, was finally canceled on Monday morning after students entered their exam rooms across the nation.
Shiferaw Shigute, Minister of Education, stated that Code 14 English exam, which was the first examination for the week, was found to be identical to the one which was claimed to have been leaked and have been circulated on social media, particularly Facebook.
Shiferaw said that the exam had to be checked on the examination day where it is mandatory to shred open the packages holding the exam papers.
Araya Gebregziabher, Head of the National Educational Assessment and Examination Agency, told The Reporter that his team had been stripped off the right to control the delivery of the national examination.
“We don’t have any control over the examination,” Araya said, adding that a national high-level taskforce has been set up to oversee the administration of the reexamination.
“We merely have a technical advisory role to the examination process,” he said.
According to the new schedule, the reexamination would take place in one month’s time.
According to some groups on social media, the leak is an orchestrated act, which has been planned and executed by an organized group. However, there is no official confirmation as to who was behind the attacks and why.